- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section
Shannon McNulty is a highly experienced Trusts & Estates and Tax attorney who counsels individuals and families on all aspects of estate planning.She provides clients with road maps for taking care of their families in the event of their death. Her advice is sophisticated and reflects her deep knowledge of the laws governing estates, taxation and child guardianship issues. Shannon approaches each client with sensitivity and compassion, understanding that many of the decisions that they will have to make can be difficult.
Shannon is regularly asked to serve as a consultant to other law firms on complex tax and international tax and estate planning issues. Before launching her own firm, Shannon practiced law at two of the country’s largest law firms- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, where she was involved in sophisticated domestic and international tax and estate planning.
She served as a judicial clerk for a U.S. District Court Judge of the Southern District of New York.
She has appeared on MSNBC as a legal commentator about celebrity estates and has been published in Forbes.com. Shannon is also the founder Savvy-Parents.com, an online resource dedicated to helping parents make smart legal and financial decisions for their family. Her podcast addresses the estate and tax issues that are important to young as well as international families.
Shannon McNulty received her LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law and graduated cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center, where she served as an Articles Editor for the Georgetown Law Journal. She has also earned the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ designation from the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards.
Ms. McNulty is a member of the Tax Law and Trusts and Estates Sections of the New York State Bar Association.
Ms. McNulty speaks regularly at events for financial professionals, foreign nationals and parents. Request Shannon to speak at your event.
- Estate Planning in the International Context, Presenter, Arizona Institute, Phoenix Arizona, Society of Financial Service Professionals (Jan. 23, 2018) and Closely Held and Flow Through Entities Conference of the New York State Society of CPAs, New York City (November 9, 2017)
- Tax Planning Issues for U.S. Expatriation: Minimizing the I.R.C. § 877A Exit Tax, Co-Presenter, Stafford Institute, Virtual Presentation (June 7, 2017)
- International Estate Planning: What Financial Professionals Need to Know, Presenter, New York State Society of CPAs, New York City (October 27, 2016) and Financial Planning Association of New York Spring Forum (May 8, 2017)
- Estate Planning in the International Context, Closely Held and Flow Through Entities Conference of the New York State Society of CPAs, New York City (November 9, 2017)
- Tax and Estate Planning for Foreign Nationals: Providing for Your Loved Ones, Protecting Yourself, and Minimizing Taxes, Presenter, Danish American Chamber of Commerce, New York City (February 23, 2016) and Finnish American Chamber of Commerce New York City (April 7, 2016)
- Grantor Trusts and Business Succession Planning, Presenter, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA (July 22, 2014)
- Taxation of Employee Compensation, Presenter, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA (December 9, 2013)
- Attorneys Get a Close Up View of Cuba: Its Laws, Systems, and Potential for Future Business Relations," Panel Participant, New York State Bar Association Business Section Annual Meeting, Scottsdale, AZ (September 2005)
- The Complete Guide to Legal Planning for New York Parents © 2018
- Estate Planning for Non-Citizens: Your Domicile, Investopedia
- Estate Planning Tips for Multinational Families, Investopedia
- Income Tax Planning is the New Estate Tax Planning, Investopedia
- What’s Missing from Your Estate Plan? Four Things Parents Can Neglect, Hudson Valley Parent
- Top Five Estate Planning Mistakes Made by Parents, Mommybites
- The Altered Landscape of Special Needs Planning, The Legal Intelligencer (February 4, 2014)